The ‘Korean Monster’ Ryu Hyun-jin (36, Toronto) returned to the mound after a year and two months. Although the results were disappointing due to the long rehabilitation and the aftermath of his absence from the field, the fact that he was healthy is a great gain. It’s also positive that he was able to get through five innings in his first start without falling apart at the plate.

Ryu started a home game against the Baltimore Orioles at the Rogers Centre in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, on May 2, giving up four runs on nine hits (one home run) with one walk and three strikeouts in five innings. He had thrown 75 pitches by the fifth inning and had the potential for a quality start (six or more innings and no more than three earned runs), but he gave up a leadoff solo home run to Gunner Henderson in the top of the sixth inning with the score tied 3-3. Ryu took the loss as his team fell to 3-13.안전놀이터

Ryu, who made his first big league start in 426 days after undergoing elbow ligament reconstruction surgery on June 2 against the Chicago White Sox (three runs in four innings), mixed his fastball (33 pitches) with a changeup (22), curveball (20) and cut fastball (five). His fastball topped out at 91 miles per hour (146.5 kilometers per hour), but his average velocity is 89 miles per hour (143 kilometers per hour), so it hasn’t quite regained its form yet. His changeup wasn’t as sharp, so he relied on his curveball as his deciding pitch. As a result, he was getting hit hard. Of his nine hits, three are doubles and one is a home run.

Ryu struggled early on against the Baltimore Orioles, the best team in the American League. His first pitch of his comeback was an 88.2 mph fastball that was hit for a double by No. 1 hitter Adley Rutchman. A cut fastball to No. 2 Ryan Mountcastle resulted in another double. Against No. 3 Anthony Santander, he gave up three straight hits with his main weapon, a changeup, and scored on the next batter’s infield grounder. In the second inning, he gave up a leadoff double to Ramon Urias to left field and then a three-run homer.

In the third through fifth innings, he induced two flyouts to keep the game scoreless. His fastball was touching 91 mph. But in the top of the sixth, he threw a wild changeup and gave up a single to Henderson before turning the ball over to the bullpen. Ryu walked off the mound with the game on the line, but the Toronto home fans gave him a standing ovation and cheers for his hard-working comeback, which saw him lose 13 kilograms during his rehabilitation.

His manager and teammates were also pleased. “He got hit early on as he was navigating the Baltimore lineup, but he kept getting better,” Toronto manager John Schneider told local reporters after the game, according to Canadian outlet Toronto Sun. “It’s great to have him back and contributing to the team.” Fellow starter Alec Manoa also praised Ryu, saying, “Everyone on the team is asking how he came back so quickly,” adding, “He always works hard and has a good routine.”

The local media was also impressed. “Ryu’s comeback wasn’t spectacular, but it wasn’t bad either,” said Sports Illustrated, “He settled down after giving up three runs in the second inning.” Sportsnet said, “Toronto was swept, but Ryu kept the game close early on.”

“I’m very happy to come back, but I’m a little disappointed that I didn’t do what a starting pitcher should do,” Ryu said, adding, “I’ll keep working to do what I can.” “I think it’s going to go up another mile or two,” he said of his fastball velocity, which increased in the third inning. “I didn’t throw it where I wanted to (in the comeback), but I’m confident I’ll get better in all areas.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back To Top