“I hope you don’t scold the child. It’s a precious work for the artist토토사이트, but I don’t want to force him to feel sorry for himself.”

At 1 p.m. on the 20th of this month, a small commotion broke out in the first exhibition hall of the Hyehwa Art Center in Jongno-gu, Seoul. A sculpture by artist Kim Woon-sung, which was exhibited at the ‘People’s World’, a memorial exhibition for the 14th anniversary of the death of former President Roh Moo-hyun, had been broken. The husband-and-wife sculptors Kim Woon-sung and Kim Seo-kyung had created the “Girl of Peace,” which symbolizes the victims of Japanese comfort women.

The protagonist of Kim’s work was a kindergarten boy who visited the exhibition while holding his mother’s hand. According to the center’s explanation, the child did not intentionally push the artwork, but rather tried to touch it out of curiosity, causing it to fall to the floor.

A text message from artist Kim Woon-sung posted on Facebook by poet Ryu Geun, who first reported the incident. The Facebook chatter

Although the exhibition was not for sale, the work was priced at 5 million won. The center, the child, and the child’s mother were very upset, and the center urgently contacted the artist. Kim’s response was different. “I hope you don’t think about reimbursement (or) compensation,” Kim wrote in a text message to the center. “I think it must have been traumatic for the parents and the child,” Kim said, “and I hope you can understand that the artist can handle it,” he added.

In particular, Kim said, “This work is about growing up with many ideals and dreams. It is a seed that sometimes has to be endured and overcome. (They are) our children,” he said, adding, “I would like you to understand (the child) about the vandalism, but not to scold him.”

The story didn’t end there. “The artist stayed up all night on the 21st to re-glue the broken artwork and brought it back to the exhibition hall on the 22nd, saying that it was also a work,” a center official told Hankyoreh on the 23rd. On the same day, the mother and child visited the exhibition again, and when they met Kim in person, the mother said ‘thank you’.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back To Top